These cupcakes are AMAZING with the Portello icing. We've cut back the sweetness with the chocolate base to make way for the sweetness and grapey flavour of the Portello. Get creative with the family and decorate the cupcakes for Easter with speckled eggs or candied flowers. You can pick up an affordable piping bag kit from most major supermarkets.
* 100g dark chocolate, chopped (or melts)
* 125g butter, softened
* ¾ cups brown sugar
* 3 eggs, room temperature
* 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
* ¼ cup cocoa powder
* 250g butter, extra, softened
* 2 cups icing sugar
* 3 tbsp Red Elk Portello Mixing Syrup
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC. Line 12-14 holes of muffin pans with paper cases. Combine the chocolate and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until the chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
2. Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and brown sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and cocoa powder. Stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate mixture. Divide evenly among paper cases. Bake for 20 mins or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
3. Using a clean electric mixer, beat the extra butter in a bowl until very pale. Gradually add the icing sugar in batches, beating after each addition. Add Portello mixing syrup by the tablespoon, mixing after each addition. Beat until well combined.
4. Transfer icing into a piping bag fitted with nozzle of your choice for decoration. (We used the 6-pointed star.) Pipe over cupcakes, and decorate as desired.